Setting up a new WordPress site or blog on a VPS like Vultr or Amazon Lightsail isn’t easy and straightforward. We’ve just started rolling out a few websites and blogs running Vultr. To make things easier, we also deployed SpinupWP.
SpinupWP in a nutshell
What’s SpinupWP? It’s a control panel to easily host WordPress websites on a cloud provider of your preference.
Here’s a note as we’re taking on this combination of the best of Vultr’s VPS (simple, fast, and scalable SSD cloud hosting provider) and SpinupWP, an app aimed at developers, that makes it so much easier to host WordPress sites yourself. It’s a simple control panel for Vultr.
SpinupWP makes it easy to spin up an optimized, multiple WordPress website on your VPS in a few minutes.
How to get started with SpinupWP
First thing first, you register a new account at SpinupWP. After that, you sign up for a Virtual Private Server at a cloud provider. There are many VPS providers (in our case, we’ve got both Lightsail and Vultr). Lastly, you connect your Virtual Private Server to SpinupWP.
With SpinupWP and your VPS up and running, you can start running optimized WordPress websites on your own VPS. What we love and the most at this stage is that Spinup WP is here to take care of all the software patches, security and other things. Overall, it saves so much of your time.
Essential SpinupWP features
- Automatic VPS security updates
- Access and login disabled for the Root user
- Free SSL certificates (with Let’s Encrypt)
- Firewall which limits access to NGINX and SSH
- Optimal settings for Nginx security
- Each site is isolated through its own user. Therefore, if one site gets compromised, other sites on the server are safe.
- SFTP/SSH access for each site.
- Two-factor authentication for platform logins.
- Interface Usability: Great
- WordPress Installer One-Click
- Domain Management: Application Level
- Server Management: So so
- Application Management: So so
- Team Manager: Yes
- Application Monitoring: Absent
- Server Monitoring: Absent
- Server Transfers: No
- Project Manager: No
- Development Environments: Live
Why we love SpinupWP?
- Connect your Vultr API with SpinupWP in just a second.
- Without much hassle for DIY configuration, we can launch a new site in a few minutes. This saves us a lot of time to launch sites fast. Install the latest stable versions of Nginx, PHP, MySQL/MariaDB, and Redis from the standard apt-get repos with no pain (but gain).
- Performance: it’s very fast. It’s what we’re embracing these day for better site speed (see the screen shot above as tested on Gtmetrix). Set up with Redis object caching for improved database requests.
- SpinupWP has all the key features most WordPress developers need. For instance, having Let’s Encrypt certificate and Nginx installed is a just a few clicks (without typing any command).
- Automatic Security Updates: You’re going to get free Let’s Encrypt HTTPS (automatic renewal) with ease. Another example is that the app disables some critical PHP functions by default.
- SpinupWP works with Vultr, DigitalOcean, Linode, AWS, and any other provider
Previously, we looked into using EasyEngine to install WordPress Nginx Setup & Management. However, we ended up setting up Nginx with HTTP/2 Support using this mini guide. As it’s trying to live up to its tagline, SpinupWP is “your own flawless WordPress server, spun up in minutes.”
SpinupWP is a Modern Cloud-Based Server Control Panel. It’s here to help you implement best practices for every server you spin up. Designed for WordPress. SpinupWP is a company of Delicious Brains Inc., a small company of expert WordPress developers, the brains behind the popular WP Migrate DB Pro and WP Offload Media plugins, WordPress core contributors.
There are something that should have been ever better. The documentation section is not much to offer yet. For example, when you want to see how the service works well with any VPS provider or not, it’s not easy to get more details.
There are similar services in this category that you may have heard of like GridPane, ServerPilot, Laravel Forge, Cloudways, and RunCloud.
Currently, Spinup WP offers the plans listed below. If you sign-up through this review, you get $50 in Spinup WP credit for free.
Vultr’s smallest plan starts at $2.5 per month (512MB memory), which is probably the cheapest plan for a VPS. To use Vultr with SpinupWP, you need at least 1GB. Use our referral link to get $50 to start testing your VPS host with SpinupWP.
Overall, SpinupWP is quick and easy to setup. Our cloud servers (Vultr and Lightsail) are blazing fast, and the user interface is a delight to work with. Ideally, it’s one of the subscription-based control panels for experienced WordPress developers and professionals.
Also good to read: WordPress SEO resources